USS Lamson
DD 367 (Mahan Class)

Visit the Naval Historical Center
Courtesy of Navsource

Builder:         Bath Iron Works, Bath Me. 
Laid Down:  	 March 20, 1934
Launched:        June 17, 1936
Commissioned:  	 October 21, 1936

Fate:            Sunk in Atomic Bomb Test, 
                 Bikini Atoll 7/25/46

We are seeking information on the USS Lamson and her crews. Files and photos may be E-mailed to us and we will incorporate them into these pages.

The E-mail:


My Great Uncle, Lawrence Gean Christiansen, served on the USS Lamson and was killed 7 Dec 1944 in a Kamikaze attack. Any information will be appreciated.

Randy Christiansen

Subject: USS Lamson DD-367
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004
From: Mark Stephens

My grandfather Capt. John V. Noel commanded the Lamson during operations in Leyte Gulf. I remember how badly he felt when most of his officers were killed in the Kamikaze attack.

When he was on his death bed just before he passed away he told my mother that he was smelling burnt oil, gun powder, re-living that horrible day. He was a great man, and a fine Captain.

Mark Noel Stephens

Subject: USS Lamson DD-367
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003
From: John K. Shelver

My father served on the USS Lamson, 1944-45. Thank you for all the work you have done to save this history. It means so much to me.

John K. Shelver

Subject: USS Lamson

I am searching for info about my dad's ship the USS Lamson #367. He was injured during WWII in the Pacific and taken to Pearl Harbor Naval Hospital. He has always wondered what happened to his ship. Was it bombed? Was it put in mothballs? Any info would help...he is 80 yrs old.

Ann Barr

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997
From: Ann Barr
Subject: USS Lamson

I can't tell you how much it pleased my dad (RL Massey) to find out that his ship had not been bombed in Pearl Harbor. He gave me some details about his injury. Until now he didn't want to talk about it. He was a radioman that was able to receive classified info and had received a priority message from the USS Enterprise for the Captain. It was the middle of the night and when he walked to the Officer of the Day's table a huge tidal wave washed over the ship. Two men went overboard and daddy was washed into a pole that held up the secondary lifeline. He lost a lot of blood and a doctor from the Enterprise had to come over to the ship. They didn't think that he would live but he did. He was transferred to Pearl Harbor and then to the San Diego Naval Hospital, which is where he stayed until he was well enough to be discharged.

He remembers that the year was 1940 and the Division Officer was Lt. Hayes. The Executive officer was Lt. Matthews. Two of his friends were Carbary (or Carbry) and John Feathers. If they are still alive he would love to hear from them or their family.

Thanks again,
Ann Barr

Many Thanks to NavSource

DD 367 -
- DD 367
Destroyers OnLine
These pages do not represent any organization.
Web authoring services provided by Destroyers Online as a public service.
Copyright 1996 - 2009 Destroyers OnLine.